Friday, July 31, 2009

Visual Art in My Future?




Ok, so for the Capital Hip Hop Soul Fest, I was an organizer of the event moreso than a performer. I did read one of my pieces from the book Liberated Muse Volume I: How I Freed My Soul, but that was a filler performance when we were having technical difficulties with one of the acts that forgot their cable cords to their keyboard. My biggest artistic display for the festival were the sign murals I created for the festival. (They are featured on this page).
My first major foray in visual art, the murals were meant as welcome mantas for festival-goers to establish the nature of the event-- one of peace, love, soul and hip-hop. Check them out! Thanks to folks who came thru and photographed them.


So, last night I checked out this wonderful event at Tryst located in Adams Morgan in DC. The event was one where visual art was the focus. Live art. We were watching it like it was a performance. Folks painting, drawing and just creating while we, the audience, watched. It was magnificent. The artist Choke, who was featured at the Capital Hip Hop Soul Fest as a vendor was one of the live artists. Other visual artists included urban artist Pikasso who is said to be sponsored by soul singer Raheem Devaughn. Pikasso is amazing. I sat next to and chatted with his significant other who showed me photos of their home where there are dozens upon dozens of canvasses he's created just lining the walls. Ahhh, art. I love it, I love it and just being among it is live-giving. I'm going to post some of the photos I took last night shortly.

No comments:

Sociable

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...