Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Late Night Performance with the Saartjie Project, Selling of Two Books & News that My Car Can Be Fixed--All in a Day!


So, right now, I am very, very, very tired. But I feel great! I am so tired that my legs are stretched out and I can barely move them. Maybe it has to do with my three-hour stay at the pool this afternoon with my family at friend's pool party and my non-stop flipping & diving off of the diving board. Maybe. But, I'm sure it has more to do with yesterday's fast-paced flurry of activity that ended with a late night performance with my sister circle The Saartjie Project at the Warehouse Theater in DC as part of this year's Capital Fringe Fest. That performance capped off a day that was pretty perfect in the way so many open projects and dilemmas closed with finesse. I also sold two copies of Liberated Muse Volume I: How I Freed My Soul! Yeay!

To begin, my car, has been in the shop since Monday. It's a 2007 Suzuki model, and, apparantly, according to my mechanic, Suzuki's are dying breeds and the maker is hard to get a hold of when parts are needed. So, for the past week, I had absolutely no word on what was wrong with my car nor what the cost of repair would be. (The issues I was having is that the car would sometimes not drive forward if placed in "Drive"). So, finally, yesterday, the mechanic asked me to find the part and then they could fix it. Yes. He asked ME to find the part. I didn't balk or say "WTF", which was on my mind to do, but asked for the name of the part and proceeded to go online. See, the mechanic had been calling the Suzuki Parts place which is local and had been on hold, he said for 45 minutes. I called the dealer where I bought it, talked to the parts person and was given a price and a time I could pick it up. It was that simple. So, hopefully, my car will be fixed by Monday and it won't cost me an arm and a leg like I was first led to believe.


After that was taken care of, I was able to begin the process of mailing checks off to the schools of the students my business Liberated Muse Productions have raised funds for during our June 19 "Celebration of Freedom" show held at the Potter's House in DC. We raised approximately $400 to go towards enrollment fees & housing deposits for four students who live in the east of the river area in Washington DC. My business partner, Maceo Thomas, and I are committed to this area and try to devote a lot of our attention to supporting the community through events, fundraisers and other things that build awareness. Students who live east of the river in DC have a less likely chance of graduating high school, let alone attend college, so our support of these young people is something we are most proud of.

Then, after picking up my life partner from work (because he is a gem of a man and has let me hold his car during the day to handle business since my car is in the shop) I was able to rush to Staples to get some flyers made to promote the book and then take a quickie nap before the 11pm Saartjie Project show.

The two hour nap I took didn't seem long enough, but it was all that was possible before booking it to the Warehouse Theater which is located in the Gallery Place/Chinatown area of DC. My life partner, thankfully, was driving, since he would be in attendance as well, working the tech for our show that night. (I can't parallel park his truck). The wonderful Stephan Cox, who was one of my students when I worked at Morgan State University and later has become such a pivotal part of Liberated Muse Productions, volunteering for many of our projects, including the Capital Hip Hop Soul Fest, was in attendance to help sell copies of Liberated Muse Volume I: How I Freed My Soul which I was able to sell before and after the show in the lobby area of the theater.

I was surprised, frankly, that we had folks turn out for last night's show, given how late it was. However, we had a fair turnout for our show which extended to almost 1 am in the mornng. Be sure to check out our show "Deconstructing the Myth of the Booty" next Wed, July 15 or Sun, July 19 if you are in the DC area. These showtimes are way earlier-- 8pm and 2pm respectively, and there is a bar in the theater. Does it get any better than that? Visit www.thesaartjieproject.org for ticket info.

No comments:

Sociable

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...