Saturday, July 18, 2009

Preparation for the Capital Hip Hop Soul Fest that is This Coming Saturday, July 25!


People ask me all of the time how do I find time to do it all. I have to admit that today, I have asked myself that question. There is a lot to do today given that the Capital Hip Hop Soul Fest is now in less than seven days. My business partner Maceo and I literally put this festival together ourselves logistically. We have the wonderful Rod Freeman coming back as our sound liaison again, but, our team is really a party of two. We attempted to have partners come on board this year, but a lot of folks were crying broke because of the recession. We were pleased to announce on Thursday, during a radio broadcast on 89.3 WPFW that we had received a new sponsor-- the US Cenus Bureau, which was such a wonderful occurence given our difficulty this year getting folks to partner. We usually go to the grassroots and small business folks to keep the festival for the people and by the people. Maceo and I earn absolutely no money from this annual festival. The reward for us is being part of this renaissance in DC where the diverse talent is connecting with their audience. The talented folk who perform also are performing free of charge. They have the opportunity to sell their wares, though. It's all about the music, bay-bee. The love energy involved in this fest is some next level ish.


What is so shocking to me is the number of egos I've encountered over the course of the past year as we prepare for this festival. I really shouldn't be shocked, given the number of egos we encountered last year. But, really, it does continue to amaze me. Everything-- from the neosoul singer who asked could he do anything for the fest and when I told him "sure, we would love you to host" and he was never heard from again to the singer who told someone who told someone that she wanted to be in the festival, but wasn't going to come to us until we ASKED HER PERSONALLY to be involved, and only then, would she consider it. For the record, we do a call for acts. What that means, is that we don't ask ANYONE personally, we see who is interested and then choose from there. There is too much talent in this city for folks to feel self-entitled I always believe. It is already difficult from the jump to determine who will be in the festival because the submissions are always from folks with MAJOR talent. If we could include everyone who is hot and submitted their music, we would.


I encourage you to come out and check it out. Visit http://www.capitalhiphopsoulfest.com/ to see for yourself and get the directions so you can check out this year's fest. Our hope is that it will rock as much, if not more, than last year.


1 comment:

garyarthuryoung said...

I'm sorry that I can't be a part of it this time around.

I feel bad because I keep asking about money whenever you hip me to opportunities. It's not for myself. I skip the pay so that I can get great musicians.

I'm going to have to figure out how to get my model a bit more flexible. Or at least have stuff to sell so that I can use that for the band.

I don't want to be seen in public if I can't make it tight, though. You know what I mean?

I'll figure it out. I'm getting more material together and meeting more musicians and that'll make a big difference in the future.

Oh, I'm supposed to be working.

Rock on, Moon.

Sociable

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...