Last week I became the new examiner for the news site examiner.com. Check out my column HERE and keep in the know. I am the DC Community Examiner. Give me your feedback
I’ve been reading since I was three years-old. Then, my hands were barely big enough to hold a hard-cover illustrated storybook, my lap too small to hold the stacks of books I loved to pull from the shelves at the library. But, my love affair with words was immediate and addictive. Inquisitive (read: nosy) from birth, it seemed, learning to read was my passage-way into constantly unfolding stories and undiscovered worlds. During pre-teen years, my reading addiction led me to create a new type of insubordination that parenting manuals hadn’t prepare my mom for; she routinely had to reprimand me for neglecting my household chores in pursuit of finishing a new book I had checked out from the Book Mobile. So, when I became a new fan of Judy Blume’s young adult books, Mom’s job as disciplinarian became all the harder. For, my voracious appetite for books seemed only heightened when Judy Blume’s books came into my life. While Deenie, Tiger’s Eyes and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing were lov...
( In photo: Our well-fed family ) ( In photo: The family after some hearty eating on Thanksgiving 2009) Yeay! Thanksgiving dinner was a success! And to think you were worried! Ok, I admit, I was pretty darn scared. I will be honest, too. The pumpkin pies were not that great, but, hey, who is counting when the turkey was divine! (In photo : The little one was in charge of table decor.) ( In photo: The man of the house injects the bird with some taste goods ) ( In photo: The beautiful bird. And, yes, it was slathered in olive-oil based mayo ) ( In photo: Our spread-- green beans, corn, sweet potatoes, turkey, gravy cranberry sauce & mac & cheese with a twis t) So, hopefully you are up to speed on my cooking tribulations. I am not the world's greatest cook. I am not the greatest cook on my block, nor in my house. That award goes to my dear partner who has the cooking skills of any of those on the Food Network. I swear. His skills are that good. But, he only lets those of ...
I particpated in really refreshing conversation with Ananda Leeke and guest Moya Bailey on Ananda's show BAP Living Radio found HERE on June 7. The topic was Black Women Online Community Builders and this show was one in a series on Black Women and Social Media. I was honored to be asked again to be interviewed on this show-- first appearing on the show last year around the same time. Moya is creator of Quirky Black Girls, a wonderful safe space for those who don't so easily fit into a box and she also oversees an ezine and events that further expand the community borne from the site. Check out the site here: http://quirkyblackgirls.ning.com/ Ananda Leeke is a dear friend and creative mentor and her show is a wonderful treat. BAP Living Radio is a monthly Internet program that airs on the first Sunday of each month from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm (eastern standard time).
Comments