This Past Weekend I Walked for Lupus & Today, I Became a Hip Hop Artist, LOL


So, this past weekend, I walked for Lupus with my partner. There hasn't been a new medication designed for Lupus in over forty years and the disease impacts women of color on far greater scale than white women, so, supporting the cause is a no-brainer since it hits close to home, but, my partner's mom is also a survivor. We went to Baltimore for the walk and I wrote about it in my examiner.com column. Read it HERE.


After the walk on Saturday, there was a deluge of rain that fell. Thankfully we avoided it during the walk, but I still had rehearsal that evening. I had to rehearse for the upcoming show on Oct. 4, a benefit for the documentary Seen But Not Heard by Cyrille Phipps. Then we have the gig on Oct. 10 @ the Green Festival.
Driving in the rain was no fun. I had a ball at rehearsal though, after getting lost to Gary's house. Gary is accompanying me on guitar for both upcoming gigs and my buddy Angela Shaw is helping with backing vocals. I had the best time with them on Saturday. We re-tooled a couple of covers and worked on an original Gary penned that is really nice. Two of my originals transformed for acoustic sound so effervescent and free as acoustic pieces. I feel like I'm renovating myself and its awesome.


In a moment of synchronicity, my partner and I went to the movies the next day and visited the book store after the movie and he wound up purchasing the "Artist's Way" for me. I have begun reading it and I can say that it truly affirms my current journey as an artist. I am sooo inspired.


On a funny note, I checked the Green Festival program today, grabbing one from the stacks they have in the building that houses the City Paper and WPFW ( I do news @ WPFW on Mondays) and I found that I'm listed as a hip hop artist. I thought that was hilarious. WTF? Maybe they thought I was Queen Latifah (who used my first name in her show Living Single). Who knows, but way funny nonetheless. Maybe we should prepare a rap just in case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No Stomachs Were Hurt in the Making of this Meal

Why Judy Blume Was In My Head

Heading to Texas for Pedagogy & Theater of the Oppressed Conference